Tuesday, March 29, 2011

African "hairitage"

So today I’m on a Chris Rock “Good Hair” trip! I’m pretty sure it’s a matter that you all have an opinion about – black girl hair. Why, oh why, is it so hard to handle?! Tell me you haven't had similar experiences! You’re hanging out on a hot day by the pool and it seems like the best idea in the world to just jump in and go for a dip.....

Unfortunately, African hair doesn’t always come in “wash and wear”! I love swimming, but I haven’t spontaneously jumped into a pool in oh.....ten years or more! Mainly because my hair is permed

I was explaining it to one of my friends who doesn’t have the same problem (she has blonde Sunsilk hair!). So I go swimming, my hair gets wet. No biggie, right? Just jump in the shower, wash and let it dry. WRONG!!!

Once it gets wet, then I have to wash it, treat it with intensive conditioning, blow dry it, flat iron or set it on rollers and then style it.........who has the energy?! And by the way, I never get results remotely as good as my stylist does!

So........what’s a girl to do? Well over the course of many years I’ve experimented with it all – blowouts, locks, weaves, braids, perms, natural crop: you name it, I’ve probably tried it!

I loved the ease of my blowout, natural crop and locks. Literally I’d just get up in the morning and go. The only problem with the blowout was that it didn’t translate into elegance very well. Natural hair is pretty basic at best. I must say though that it took colour really well and the short cropped look was great for showcasing bold jewellery. So if you’re a girl who likes simplicity and huge earrings, then a blowout or natural crop would be perfect for you.

The locks were also a great choice – I opted to get mine washed and twisted weekly in the beginning as I wasn’t sure how long I’d like to keep them. Turns out it was a good idea – I only lasted about 3 months. My issue with them was that they’re a lifetime (or at the very least long-term) commitment – and I get bored really quickly! I like to switch up my look so the permanence of locks was kind of scary. If you’re the kind of girl that can commit long-term and wants something low maintenance, though, then this is the option for you!

My girl does great updates on hair and beauty, so follow her on Twitter to keep updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment